Sunday 16 November 2008

The bagpuss like toefutsies are no longer bagpuss like. In fact they're in a frogged pile on my living room floor waiting to be turned into Angel's Rest socks. I discovered a few things this week, that working on secure units where the government say you have to wait a week for a set of keys is not fun, and neither is having to knit on dpns the length of cocktail sticks on said unit to avoid the risk of a patient stealing them and using them as a weapon. I can't actually knit on anything so short for any length of time without either getting very painful hands or making lots of mistakes. So I'm rather grumpy from lack of knitting, but I've been able to understand a bit more about what it feels like to be a patient in one of these places. You need a set of keys to do anything and move anywhere round the unit, and as for the knitting needles - I'm having something I enjoy and that makes me happy and acts as a pretty good support activity when I'm stressed or upset taken away from me "just in case" and that frustrates me, and I only have to deal with it for eight hours a day, five days a week. It's something that's opened my eyes this past week and thinking about things like that is seeming to make me better at what I'm doing at the moment.

No comments: