Wednesday 22 August 2007

in the light of day the heel less socks were just too mismatched to use as even walking socks as i get the feeling that were i to be involved in some climbing/walking related incident i would die of sheer mortification if the paramedics attempted to pull my boots off. i remember being told that you should always wear matching underwear when you go out in case you got hit by a bus, i don't remember anything about socks though, but there you go.
i've managed to get through half my week of night shifts so far but with minimal knitting, though i often sit and knit on my breaks during the day i find myself feeling just a little bit more than self conscious doing it in the dead of night when there are no patients around and besides myself only two other people about (not counting the ghost, yes i said ghost - we apparently have one). i'm averaging a few rounds per night on another pair of so far heel less sleeping socks (in dusky pink opal) which will this time be my walking socks provided i don't come across some yummy pattern that i just have to do in this colour, ah i'm so fickle i know. i'd say this was something of an achievement to manage between hourly checks, jumping up everytime you hear the noise of a patient out of bed, nursing patients on 1 to 1 observations, washing and drying patients laundry, tidying up, ohmysweetjimmorrisonmyportfoliosdueininlessthanaweekandihavehugebiggapsandnoonetosignthingsoffi'mgoingtofaili'mgoingtofailargh!!!, and many other duties besides. i'm starting to like night shifts despite the fact i went to sleep at roughly 9am this morning and was out of bed and into the bath by just before 2.30pm and i'm starting to feel just a little sleepy despite pouring my third cup of strong coffee down my throat as i type this. i blame this on the fact that someone tried to steal the lead roof from the house's bay window while i was at work. the lsb sent me a text very early this morning simply asking me to ring him, which is worry in itself, the man had his mobile phone there in his hand and knew i'd finished my shift so it must be at least a little serious for him to not want to tell me in a text. so all the way on this noisy bus ride things are running through my mind as to what it could be and exactly how bad it all was, had he finally had enough and decided to leave me for a woman with less crazy hobbies? was his mum ill? had i unintentionally run up a huge phone bill to australia? no, it turned out half the lead roof was on the front lawn when he went out to the car this morning and he was having to try and ring someone up to get it mended. so each and every noise this morning has jarred me from sleep thinking it was someone coming back for the roof. or that's my excuse anyway.

No comments: