Saturday 17 March 2007

the dratted scarf


this is the dratted scarf, so called because i hate it. it's my first dabbling in the world of lace knitting, after rarely straying out of my personal safe zone of stocking, moss, and rib stitches for the past three or so years i thought i should throw myself into the (fairly) shallow end and get myself one of rowan's how to knit kits and with a simple four steps and repeat pattern it sounded easy enough. but oh no. pure and simple this scarf hates me, it senses the confidence growing in me each and every time i make the fatal mistake of thinking to myself "hey, i'm starting to get the hang of this you know". it senses this growing confidence and sneakily the stitches breed, or they decide to somehow decrease themselves. in fact i've honestly started to believe that whatever god, or giant tortoise in the sky must really have it in for me. in fact i sat all morning on the sofa while the boyfriend was out getting the car serviced, chanting to myself over and over that i will not be defeated.

i'm so determined to make real progress with this thing that i'm actually putting my relationship in danger. my poor long suffering boyfriend made the mistake of attempting to talk to me while was trying to keep track of my stitches, now i love this man muchly but as i have a short term memory span of around 2 seconds it's not a good idea to disrupt me. i'm the sort of social knitter who has to keep something basic in rib or stocking stitch on the back burner for knitting in social situations like on the train to university or in cafes. i really fear that i might defeat this scarf project eventually but after so much shouting and snapping at the boyfriend i'll hold my needles up high and shout hooray at finally gaining a scarf, but i'll have lost my boyfriend in the process. ah such is life.

i've gone somewhat knitting crazy over the past month or so finishing the ice maiden sweater i've had on needles since the summer of 2005, a pair of socks and started at least two other projects. stress levels are obviously very high this time of year and when i get stressed i knit, a lot. in fact i think over the past week all i've done is get the last of my assignments out of the way, knit and sleep.

No comments: